A gift for Jesus on his birthday...

>> November 14, 2008

We have been having a conversation around here about Christmas.
It is going to be here before we know it.
Every year Bruce and I make efforts to keep Christmas focused on Christ, but kids will be kids and mine still love Christmas because of presents.
They are already working on Christmas music at Epic, and when the leaders asked the kids what Christmas was about, Mason was quick to announce that it was PRESENTS.
Don't get me wrong, my kids understand that Christmas is celebrated because Jesus was born. They love making a birthday cake for him every year, but presents are still their priority.
So this year our conversation is about what present Jesus will get.
About how upside down it is that we are the ones who get all the presents for someone else's birthday.
(They didn't like the idea of doing that for their birthday.)
We are reading in the Bible and talking about what kind of gifts Jesus wants (and what a gift for Jesus even could be on tangible terms.)
We have talked about the parable of the sheep and the goats (Matthew 25:31-46).
That when we do things for others that have needs, we are doing things for God.

This is something that God has been doing in MY heart.
I have been challenged with what loving God really looks like.
He is showing me how to love him in tangible ways.
Showing me that loving him is bigger than having a quiet time with him and trying to obey his commands, by not ____ (there’s a huge list of nots. You can fill in the blank.)
I am trying to teach this to my kids too – in small bits that they can grasp.
It is my constant prayer that my children will love God with all their heart, soul and mind. I am doing my best to model that for them and include them in the tangibles whenever I can.

So as for a birthday gift for Jesus, Merritt suggested we make muffins and coffee and take it to the homeless people in Hanford on Christmas morning.
And we even talked about doing it before the gifts under our tree get opened, so that Jesus gets the first gift.
We are still having the discussion. I want it to be their ideas not mine so that they never feel like this takes away from their Christmas. I want them to be excited about it and look forward to it.

Check out this video (that I found on Scott’s blog) about Christmas...


7 responses:

Scott November 14, 2008 at 3:12 PM  

I am so excited about how you and Bruce are trying to bring the reality of Christmas to your children.

What would our churches look like if more parents followed your lead?

What would our world look like if Christians spent more on helping people in need than they do on gifts for each other?

Christy November 15, 2008 at 7:46 AM  

thank you for that post. I love Scotts post as well. I agree with you (obviously if you are reading my blog you already know that ;) we are trying to put Christmas in perspecitve of loving others and serving others as well. To take it back from the world and "give" back in the way of love. I miss you friend. I think you are a super mom who is doing a great job at modeling Jesus to her kids.

Becky November 17, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

Ok so I love, love, love the video. Amazing how true it is. I tried to explain to my 15 and 12 yr old about a tight Christmas and there was dead silence on the other end of the phone. LOL. Thank you so much for sharing.

Becky

Eileen November 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM  

Excellent... what great role models you are for your children!!!

Crystal November 18, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

Once again, I feel challenged. That's great.

junglemama November 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM  

Hi! I happened to find your blog just clicking around. I am a neighbor of yours, LOL. Love your idea for Christmas... you should check out some of my challenges on my blog. :)

Beth November 21, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

I think what you are trying to do is great. It is right along the lines of what I want to do with my family. Thank you for the inspiration to continue on with going against this present culture. That was a great video.

(I know just where Hanford is, I grew up in Reedley)

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP