What are you going to DO about it?

>> April 26, 2009

This is the book I am currently reading...




If you're looking for a good non-fiction / Christian Living book to read, I recommend this one.

God has been challenging me in the way I live out Christianity.
This change in me started awhile ago, but I really got that "what are you going to DO about it" question from God when I was reading Crazy Love.
During that time, God gave me vision for one way He wanted me to "do something."
I have been working on my part of bringing that vision to fruition and trusting God for His part.
And He is definitely showing me that I heard Him correctly as He is already providing what I need to do my part. So I continue to take one step at a time in this.

And ever since I sensed His nudging when I was reading Crazy Love, everywhere I turn, every person I talk to, every book I read, every speaker I hear just reiterates what I sensed. I LOVE how God confirms what He tells me so that I can't doubt His leading in my life.

Fast forward to this new book I am reading...
Do you ever read something and get chills because God is confirming something in you?
I started reading this book on the way home from Catalyst and couldn't even get past the forward without that sensation. I had to read it out loud to those who were in the car with me.
Here is part of that forward (written by John Ortberg):

"The prophet Micah said a long time ago that the devine requirements for human life are not rocket science. Do justice, love mercy and walk humbly before your God. Worship is the humble walk. It is the knee-buckling, jaw-dropping acknowledgment of the gap between the creature and the Creator, the finite and the Infinite, the sinful and the Holy. It is the heart-rending, spirit-mending
gratitude and joy of those who have tasted the wonder that words like redemption can only hint at.

But apart from doing justice and loving mercy, worship means no more than a child's "thank you" means if it is accompanied with a selfish unwillingness to share what she claims to be thankful for."

It is time for God's church to start doing what Jesus did - to get their hands dirty. It has become too easy to ignore the part of Micah about doing justice and loving mercy (or at least only considering that part as long as it doesn't make us uncomfortable), even the walking humbly part is conditional in so many people who say they are Christians. We care too much about ourselves and our comfort.

Bruce and I went to Catalyst last week. I haven't even fully finished absorbing all that I heard and that God did in me. Maybe I will have more to share as I wrap myself more around it. God definitely used the conference to reconfirm what He is doing in me. He also used it to make that vision larger. So those are my thoughts for now.

I want to leave you with my favorite video clip from Catalyst. This clip came from Mosaic church and was the opener for Erwin McManus - who's point was that Jesus died so we could live our most heroic life for Christ. Enjoy! (I know this is a long post so if you don't have time, come back when you do have time. It lasts about 5 1/2 mins.)


8 responses:

Crystal April 26, 2009 at 6:28 PM  

Cool video, what I got from it was the fact that Carlos' passion/purpose was to help people by fixing their cars. And "retirement" was satisfying. God wants us to do our passion.

And I really love when you share from your heart and your current experience because I feel like I gleam so much from your wisdom. I am also in a spot where I was to live most radically for Christ by "doing" the passions in my heart---both practically in developing my occupation and impractically by just sincerely loving people.

I look forward to more reflections :). (Oh and my word verification is "rumba", could latin dancing be a new passion of yours?;);)

Michael Cordich April 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM  

I was wondering where in the Bible it says "that Jesus died so we could live our most heroic life for Christ"?

Rhonda April 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM  

Michael: Nice to meet you through my blog. Here is the briefest answer I can give you for your question...

Obviously there is not one verse in the Bible that says that. Nor did Erwin McManus claim that there was. That was just a sum-up statement, if you would. To give it a little more context, (and this is not a quote from McManus, but rather a paraphrase from me because I didn’t take word for word notes or record the session) he started by saying that Jesus didn’t die on the cross so that we could pray a prayer, call ourselves Christians, try to be a good person, even go to church and tithe, yet continue living for ourselves.
What Jesus did say was “take up your cross and follow me.”(Matt 10:38) In essence, He was saying, come and die. Come and be willing to die so that others can have life eternal too. That is living a heroic life for Christ.

Side note from Rhonda:
Here is a definition of Hero (from The American Heritage Dictionary) : A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life .

So although there is not a word for word passage saying that, read Matthew 10. Being a hero for Christ is what Jesus was calling the disciples to, and I don’t believe that calling was just for the 12. I believe it was for anyone who calls themselves a disciple of Christ.

Anonymous April 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

Christ died to save us. Plain and simple. I think the Bible makes that pretty clear. There is no need to make it something it is not.

Crystal Keilers, that's me. April 28, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

Wow, it's a shame that people can't hear the heart behind what you're saying Rhonda. I don't at all think that you're trying to dilute salvation and make it something that it is not. I, like you, want to live my most heroic life for Christ. I'm compelled to love him with every inch of my heart (though I daily fall short). He has done so much for me. I hope my life reflects my gratitude for His sacrifice. In other words, I hope my story will contain heroic proportions b/c of my deep devotion and gratitude for salvation. And let there be no confusion, Jesus is the hero, end of story. I just want to be willing to partake in “feats of courage…risking and sacrificing my life” out of my affection for Jesus Christ, my hero. And you know what? Those heroic proportions may be loving my family well "." (Because some days that is an absolute feat of courage).

I'm reminded of the Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25). The Master entrusted his three servants with talents. Two of the servants multiplied their talents. In my opinion, those two servants trusted the heart of their Master and wanted to give back to him. That’s the heart and spirit behind what you’re saying here in this post and in your photography (Exposing Grace). Rhonda, that is heroic to me (and I think it blesses the heart of your Father☺).

Christy April 28, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

Hey my friend, I agree that Christ died to save us but how selfish of us to think that we are here to just be stagnent and not do whatever it takes to love others to Christ. Anonymous; you are correct in the first half but the you loose me on the plain and simple. I dont think there is anything simple about hanging from a cross and dying. I do think that it takes courage to love others outside your comfort zone, and to also serve others expecting nothing in return except the satisfaction that God has laid that on your heart and you are bound and determined to use your gifts in the midst of this crazy world. I know I dont "have" to DO anything in terms of works to get to heaven but I sure dont want to just warm the seats at church when people I know and love are at this point not going to heaven. Thanks Rhonda for the video I enjoyed it and plan on putting my cape on tonight! He,hee!! :)

Unknown May 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

I love hearing your heart in this! Thanks so much for sharing. I love reading about people who are coming alive to their purpose and pursuing justice as they pursue Christ! :-)

Eileen May 19, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

Beautiful post, Rhonda, and awesome film. I love seeing into your heart and mind. You have such a beautiful spirit. Love you.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP