A Boy's World

>> August 8, 2007

It struck me this morning, as I was watching and listening to my boys playing, how much I take their boyness (real word?) for granted. It is all I've ever known with them so it is normal in our house. But this morning I watched them play and loved the "all boy" in each of them. Here is a brief run down of the mornings events...

They made a fort which quickly became the Millenium Falcon (the blue disc on the top is where the lasers shoot from)...


Once they played there awhile they disappeared into their "secret hiding place" under the bed, behind the rolling drawers that are usually fully under the bed. They emerged from there to become swashbuckling pirates and after a few sword fights and a couple of "Aaaargh, me hearties" ("Aaargh me parties" as Mason puts it), decided to take a break for breakfast - over which they discussed who the best Power Ranger was and which ones they were going to be today, which goes like this...

Merritt: "1,2,3, red"
Mason, slightly delayed: "Red"
Merritt: "I said it first"
Mason, whining: "I want to be red"
Mom: "You can both be red"
Both boys at the same time: "But there's not two reds"
Mom: "You can pretend that there is and besides that, there is 2 reds. One of you can be the red SPD ranger and the other can be the red Dino thunder or Operation Overdrive Ranger."

Agreed! Mason is the SPD Ranger because he has the costume, which he immediately puts on. And Merritt is BOTH of the other red rangers. Before long, they are both in the Millenium Falcon with their light sabers (and both boys in their swim suits anticipating swim time this afternoon), fighting the Imperial Forces. While there, dad says it is time to clean up and get dressed because we have a meeting to go to. So the Millenium Falcon get blown up and explodes in several pieces (some of which become lightsabers themselves before making it into the bag to be put away)


And that was all before 9:00am. I love being the mom of boys! There's always an adventure involved. And how many moms of girls know the Power Rangers or could tell you which Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle is which? I look forward to seeing how Molly in the mix changes the dynamic in our day and especially our playtime. I have a feeling that Barbie is going to be good friends with the Red Ranger and the Ninja Turtles.

3 responses:

Christy August 8, 2007 at 2:34 PM  

ok, I'll give you the power ranger one but I do know the names of the ninja turtles. My girls are all over that one.:) I love the photos and cant wait to see Molly in the mix soon. But beware, Barbie's not just a pretty face anymore she can really kick butt if need be. Just ask the Harker girls. Miss you my friend, Love Christy H.

DonnaG August 8, 2007 at 3:35 PM  

The Power Rangers are going to save Barbie's life one day. It was be so sweet. Boys do rock. They are so fun and so cool. I love how God designed them to be heros, to be brave and conquer the enemies. Soooooo Wild At Heart.

Hey, we need more Molly pictures.

LOVE LOVE LOVE that you blog!!!

Jessica August 9, 2007 at 9:54 AM  

Wow, that's quite a lot before 9:00 am! Makes me look forward to my own little boy :) At least growing up with a brother I do know all about Power Rangers and the Ninja Turtles :) I also taught him all about my Barbies. Your family is precious :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP